Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Tax Year 2019 *IMPORTANT*

For 17 years, the Inter Tribal Council of Arizona (ITCA) has had the privilege of participating in the Internal Revenue Service’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program. Being able to provide tax preparation and filing services for hundreds of tax filers over the years has been a wonderful experience.

The ITCA, acting on behalf of concern for the safety of all community members and volunteers, has made the difficult decision to close the VITA site for the remaining tax season due to the ongoing concern of the corona-virus (COVID-19).

We apologize for any inconvenience this closure will cause. To assist with your income tax filing needs, the following websites have information on how to complete and file your federal and state income tax returns.



  • Free filing for every household with a simple return

City of Phoenix VITA sites:

The ITCA looks forward to providing this valuable income tax preparation and filing service next year. Wishing good health to you and your family.

For additional locations throughout the state, contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) at 800.906.9887 or at http://irs.treasury.gov/freetaxprep to confirm site locations and hours of operation. Thank you.

Some Refunds Delayed in 2020

The IRS will issue refunds starting mid-February 2020, for returns that claim the Earned Income Credit (EIC) or the Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This applies to the entire refund, not just the portion associated with these credits. As in past years, the IRS will begin accepting and processing tax returns once the filing season begins. All taxpayers should file as usual, and tax return preparers should also submit returns as they normally do. Even though the IRS cannot issue refunds for some early filers until at least mid-February 2020, the IRS reminds taxpayers that most refunds will still be issued within the normal timeframe: 21 days or less, after being accepted for processing by the IRS.

For additional Hot Topics from the IRS, please go to https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/whats-hot.

My Free Taxes

The United Way in partnership with H&R Block is offering an online tax preparation software for service for qualified individuals to prepare their own federal and state income tax returns.  Information is available at http://www.myfreetaxes.com.

Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Services Guide

For information on general tax law, getting a transcript or a copy of return, making a tax payment, or checking on status of a return, the guide is available at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p5136.pdf.


Get Adobe Acrobat Reader